Welcome To Naijazee Blog Read all the latest news in Nigeria and get exclusive access to stories, photos, video, gossip, scandals, and more.

First Hand Account of Being Infected with Wuhan Virus

Here’s how hard-hit an otherwise healthy 23 year old got by the virus…sounds miserable!
This was translated by a Reddit user from a Chinese newspaper:

Feeling better, but digestive functions are still terrible

Shenyidu: How are you physically?

Wang Kang: This is the sixth day since my release. I can’t do anything labor heavy. I can’t exercise much. But I’m getting better by the day. Sometimes I run out of breath when talking, and I have trouble breathing deeply. Normal breathing is fine for me. I live in Wuhan. I can actually take care of myself now. My parents are taking care of me, too. But I rarely leave the house.

S: Did the doctors prescribe you with any medications?

WK: The hospital gave me two kinds. One for chest activation, one for anti-flu. They prescribed me 4 months for the chest activation, only 5 days for the anti-flu drug. Just need to finish this box. That’s also the one I’ve been having in hospital. I had some digestive pills this morning.

S: Still feeling upset in your stomach?

WK: My digestive functions are still poor. Had some Jiaozi yesterday. Caused acid reflux and bloating. Still feeling it now.

S: What subsequent treatment and examination are planned?

WK: I need to go back for examination in a month. The doctors at Jinyintan told me to go back as soon as possible if something’s wrong. They are very responsible, nice people. I’d like to thank them. They are relocated from other hospitals in Wuhan, and some are experts in Beijing. They’re short-staffed and working around the clock. 16 hours a day. From dawn til dusk.

Thought it was common cold, diagnosed after two transfers.

S: When did you start to feel that something’s wrong with you?

WK: I started to feel sick on Dec 24. The symptoms were dizziness, headaches, weak and sore limbs. I thought it was just common cold at the time, because it felt like one. When I went to work the next day I was limp and powerless. I took sick leave and got a cab home. Went to a hospital nearby for treatment. I was in hospital on 25th. Got IV without delay. IV right after I got admitted. I didn’t have a fever at first. After 3 days, something like on the 27th, I started to have a fever.

S: Did you stay at the hospital?

WK: No. I would get IV at the hospital every day and then go home, just like you would for a common cold. On 27th I started to have a fever that won’t go away. IV did not help and it got worse. I could hardly move. Terribly fatigued. I walked around a bit and my blood oxygen level dropped really low. I had trouble breathing, so I could do nothing but lying in bed. Got my blood checked, did the routine blood test and it came back normal. Got my blood and liver functions checked the next day. My deaminase level has been high since college. I told the doctors that, because I didn’t know about the pneumonia. Didn’t pay attention to those things. I was worried about other diseases. It takes a day before the results get back and it was the weekends, so I came home. The IV didn’t work so I stopped taking it. Laid in bed for two days.

S: How did you feel over these two days?

WK: I had no appetite. Couldn’t eat anything. If I ate I threw up anyways. I had some congee. And some water.

S: How was the result that came back on Monday?

WK: The report said there was some problem with my liver function. So I thought it was my liver. Thought to check again at Xiehe Hospital. I took a couple of days off at home, and then went to Xiehe in the morning of the 1st. I still had a fever at hospital so I got some medicine. I started sweating after taking the medicine, but the fever was still there. Usually it was 39 Celsius, but got to 40, 41 Celsius at times. Drugs helped, but the fever came right back each time.

S: What tests did they give you at Xiehe?

WK: After being admitted at Xiehe, I got a full body examination at endocrinology. On Jan 2, my blood oxygen level dropped to 60% which was life-threatening. I got a chest X-ray. The X-ray room was a couple of buildings from my ward, so the doctor had to push my bed all the way there. The doctor told my mom to keep talking to me along the way so that I don’t fall asleep. You get drowsy when the blood oxygen level is low. The oxygen generator couldn’t be used on the way, so they had to use an oxygen tank. After taking the X-ray, someone asked me where I worked, what route I took to work, where I lived, things like that.

S: How did you respond?

WK: I told him I work in sales near Hankou railway station. It was not far from my home and only a few hundred meters away from Huanan Seafood Market. I rode my bike home every day. I never went in the seafood market, but I was at a grocery nearby on 22nd. It was raining that day. I didn’t bring a rain jacket or an umbrella. I thought I caught a cold from that. The early symptoms of pneumonia and common cold are identical.

S: What are the test results from Xiehe?

WK: 11am on Jan 2, they told my mom I might have to be transferred to Jinyintan, so she started to gather my stuff. At noon they told us it might not be necessary. They had a video conference about my case for about 2 hours. My mom was worried they won’t keep me. She didn’t know about the new pneumonia; she thought it was something serious. The doctor told her not to let me sleep, to keep talking to me. She was worried and scared. Neither of us knew anything about Jinyintan Hospital.

S: How did you end up at Jinyintan Hospital?

WK: They officially transferred me in the afternoon that day, with a note about suspicions of pneumonia. At around 7pm, Jinyintan Hospital picked me up in an ambulance. They hooked me up with oxygen, blood oxygen monitor, EKG and stuff immediately when I got admitted. I was sent to ICU at around 8:40pm and got my blood tested. My sister wanted to get in but was stopped by two doctors and two security guards. ICU is completely quarantined. I was and then sent to severe case ward where my sister could get in. I owe my life to my sister’s care.

S: What did she do?

WK: There were a lot of patients in quarantine and the nurses were overworked. Patients like us had high fevers, no appetite, low blood oxygen level, so my sister had to feed me with food and water, and took care of my wastes. The hospital gave her a mask. She stayed with me for more than 10 days. Slept on a makeshift bed of seven chairs and a blanket. Just slept like that.

The fever was gone the second day I got to Jinyintan Hospital. From 1st to 3rd my sister fed me with water and medications. I got fever and sweat and the fever dropped fast. I couldn’t life a cup to my mouth then so I laid in med and my sister fed me with a straw. She had to prop up my dead.

Around the 10th I was taken to another ward. I had enough strength to move and take care of myself, so I asked my sister to leave. My nephew was sick. She didn’t get a change of clothes over the 10 days because she couldn’t leave after she got in. When she left, they disinfected her and ran some tests before releasing her. My dad and mom was with me. But they didn’t let them to get in at Jinyintan because they were old. My sister wouldn’t allow them to go in either. We listened to the doctors the whole time.

S: What did the doctors ask you to do?

WK: The doctor told my dad to get some human albumin, because I couldn’t eat for a few days and needed nutrition. We lived in Hankou. My dad went to Wuchang and bought 5 bottles. But they didn’t have refrigerators for patients under quarantine and human albumin must be kept refrigerated. He brought 5 and the hospital only took one. They said to bring the other 4 home and keep refrigerated. We live very far from the hospital, so my mom got a hotel room nearby, just to keep those albumin. She delivered one bottle to me every day. Each bottle was about 500 CNY, 50 mL or 75 mL, a tiny bottle, yellow. 5 days later I could eat, so they were no longer needed.

From tens of IVs per day to getting out of sick bed

S: How did the doctors treat this? What’s the treatment plan?

WK: There’s no specific treatment for this, no fast solutions. They must activate you own immune functions to combat the virus and it will damage other organs. The doctors and nurses were nice. They’ll tell you what each drug was for. IV and anti-inflammatory drugs were to activate pulmonary functions. They also gave me injections to protect my stomach and my liver, and other organs, but especially intestines and stomach. There were other drugs for pneumonia but I don’t understand much.

S: So most of the drugs were delivered via IV?

WK: Yes, a lot of them. Tens of bottles per day for the first few days. On 8th and 9th it was around 8 bottles a day. Sometimes they gave me some oral drugs, but the doctors tells you when to take them and when to stop. They require full cooperation. Sometimes they switched the drugs. I don’t know what exactly. But they said it’s to activate pulmonary functions.

S: What did they reduce the amount of drugs?

WK: Because gradually my blood oxygen level got back to 90. They began to decrease the oxygen concentration and flow. They took me off oxygen and EKG after my heart rate and blood pressure got back to normal. I think it was because I was young. I’m only 23. All my organs work for me.

S: Did you receive serious intestinal and gastric damage?

WK: How do I describe this. When I first got to Xiehe, on the first day, my dad got me Shaomai for breakfast. There was some black pepper in it. I could handle spices. I had no trouble with hot pots, things like that. But on that day I took one bite into the Shaomai, there was some black pepper in it. My whole esophagus and stomach were in discomfort the whole morning. And I had to relieve myself in bed. Peeing is fine, I could hold it in. But it was humiliating to poop in my bed. I didn’t poop for five days. Not since I got to Xiehe. I only went to the bathroom on the 5th or 6th when they took off my EKG. There was a toilet so I could sit. I was shitting blood. I thought it was a hemorrhoid but it wasn’t. It was intestinal damage. And I also ripped my anus because I didn’t shit in 5 days.

I was so miserable. I couldn’t hold it in but I didn’t want to do it in bed. I took off the oxygen, asked the nurse to take me off EKG, and walked slowly. Each step caused a coughing fit. Actually I had the strength to get out of bed, but I coughed with each motion and it was hard for me to breath. It took me 5 minutes just walking there. I was coughing in the bathroom too. Can’t push.

S: Why did you switch wards?

WK: Before the 10th they placed everyone in either severe case ward or ICU. ICU is completely isolated. It’s for people whose lives were at risk. But the numbers were growing and there weren’t enough wards, so they had to separate severe cases and light cases. I was almost cured, but still counted as a severe case. At the time only Jinshuitan was taking patients with unknown pneumonia in Wuhan. I was transferred to another severe case ward on the 10th. I could walk in the room, pour water, and bathe myself. I could do all that.

S: Who shared a ward with you?

WK: For the second severe case ward there were 4 people, including me. There was an old guy, 62 years old, an old woman, 68 years old, and another guy, 42 years old. I spent 5 days there before being released. Those 3 barely ate anything and nobody took care of them. When the nurses were feeding them they couldn’t take anything in. The meals at the hospital were nutritious, but tasted bad at first. On the first day it was terrible. The second day it was good. Beef, lamb, chicken, duck, fish, pretty balanced. Yogurt and fruits, too. But they didn’t have the appetite.

Feeling better after release

S: When did you think you are pretty much fine?

WK: After I could move by myself. I was getting better by the day. I didn’t cough much in the hospital after that.

S: How did the doctor notify you that you could leave?

WK: On 13th, I took some tests and chest CT. Ran some blood work too. The doctor notified me on 14th after giving me an injection. Said my chest looked good and to get my family here on 15th. The doctor told me to avoid crowds, rest, and take my medications on time.

S: How do you feel after being released?

WK: I was released at noon. I had a craving for sesame paste noodles. Haven’t had it in so long. So I walked to have some. I had half a bowl. I could walk by myself, but not very fast. I got cramps at the beginning. Not a lot of strength in my legs. My mom could walk faster than me despite being much older. I wasn’t overly confident, even after being released, because I stayed in bed for about 20 days. Didn’t exercise at all.

The second day I forced myself to take a walk near my home. My dad and mom were worried and didn’t want me to go out, and kept bugging me to come back. When I came back in the afternoon I felt much better than the first day. I had more strength, and could walk faster. Less fatigued, too.

S: How do you feel now?

WK: I’m gaining strength, which is good. I still have trouble with digestive functions. I can’t run but can walk for a very long time. I get sad and cry sometimes because my family were so worried. My mom is more than 60 years old. She cried every day at home. My 4 uncles, 2 aunts, and my aunt-in-law were kind to me, as well as my neighbors. After I got well they sent me stuff. They sent me milk and money, and came to visit. When I was sick, my friend went to Xiehe to visit but the doctor wouldn’t let him in. He looked through the glass door and cried upstairs.

S: Is your sister OK after taking care of you?

WK: She caught a cold after getting out. I hurried her to hospital to check and they said it was common cold.

S: Did you realize how serious it was when the doctors told you it was pneumonia?

WK: I’m not on my phone that much. When my friends told me I might’ve been infected with that I said I wouldn’t be so unlucky. I only realized how serious it was when I watched the news after I was released. When I was in hospital I thought it was just an illness because I never got so ill before.

S: How much did you spend on treatment?

WK: About 20000 CNY. 10000 CNY in Xiehe Hospital. I barely spent anything at Jinyintan Hospital, just 3000 for deposit and 300 for meals. They didn’t charge me for anything else.


Post a Comment